1978 MGB T-Top
"My '78 MGB", ©2011 Elroy
I finally got this car running again
after sitting in the garage for 9 years. After commuting in it for many
years I broke a piston ring. I had the engine rebuilt and
reworked the electrical. I've rebuilt the front end and brakes,
refurbished the over-drive, cleaned up the exterior and redid most of
the interior including doing a little sculpture by making a solid
walnut paneled dash board and rub rails and handles. The T-top
window seals have now been replaced for wetter Seattle. I
love to be able to pop them out at a stop light. I discovered a
bit of a rumble in the car on a recent trip which turned out to be an
over-heated and worn arm on one of the universal joints.
Both have been replaced and the valves are adjusted to make it sound
like the fine machine I want. I'm still in the process of
cleaning the engine compartment. I have to disassemble many electrical
I have to say that the my new
Pirelli P4 tires work great in the snow and I'm loving the way it
drives. I did have to take the time to re-align the front
wheels. According to the MGB Club members I've met so far, this
may be the only T-top in Washington State.
Cheryl and Elroy with the '78 MGB by Lake Washington ©2012
Now a member of the MG Car
Club NW Centre.
The MG Car Club NW on the Whidbey Island Art Tour at Fort Casey, March,
2012, a beautiful but frosty day.
My latest cleanup with Cheryl's
stitchery genius. Repainted before new carpets all around along with a
new tool bags.
Both the T-top panels now have protective fuzzy envelopes and the
tire is covered nicely. The neighbors think I can't remember what
kind of car it is. I had to straighten the lid internal supports
and re-bend the hinges until they matched. The lid itself was
also twisted a bit by the single original trunk prop so I had to
carefully re-curve and re-align the fit. It may not be perfect
but it is a lot better. The new struts lift automatically after
opening about 5". 
My most recent addition has been the new removable luggage rack.
I couldn't leave it alone and had to add some wood supports that
flattened it out and matched the color of the T-Top. I like this
Surco stainless steel rack for its ease of attachment and its
strength. I still am looking for some nice straps. I
expect it to drop my gas mileage loaded but it will be worth the extra
space. I already fabricated a funky bike rack but may have to see
it I can figure out how to add that to this rack.
I'm still learning about the Stromberg carburetor. I had to take
it apart to put in a new O-ring. Getting it readjusted has been a
real learning experience. Finally running well enough to make it
over the North Cascade Highway to Winthrop but it putted across at high
'78 MGB topless
I had to take the top off in the middle of the
rainy season because I had my windshield replaced at Safelite at 12813
Aurora N. They did a great job. Terry replaced all the bolts and
screws with stainless steel. Some of the screws had been put back in
the wrong locations from a previous replacement. He had to re-tap some
of the holes and installed all the new seals that I bought. It
did change the alignment since many of the seals had not been replaced
for years. Some of the bolts were missing or disconnected. Terry
was very careful and attentive to detail. Don't expect this to be
a quick job. It still was done in about three days. I
really don't think they made a dime on it but seemed to do it for the
love of working on the car. This was a job that I had nightmares
over so I'm glad it's done. Since the top was off I replaced the front
seal on the top as well.
After the windshield replacement I had to rebuild my wing
windows. I found out that both had broken seams at the corner but
I only bought one good used one. Once I had it pulled apart the
door panel to get out the drivers side I figured I was committed to the
other side as well. Unscrewing it and twisting it out carefully
without scratching the window was a trick. Refurbishing the hinges was
necessary since they were pretty much frozen and the seals were all
rotted out. Once I knew the removal technique the other side had
to be done. I had a quick stainless steel weld done and I
had to finish the surface. New seals put in all around, aligned
so that its not as twisted and it looks great.
The LED lights as a Christmas present from Cheryl, my wife, was a great
addition. The original lights weren't as bright as I thought they
should be but these LED light boards and the accompanying flasher
really brightened things up. At the same time I went through and
replaced all the rubber gaskets around all the other exterior
Guess which is a standard brake
LED brake light.
I bought the kit from British
Automobile company - BMCAuto.com
It wasn't cheap but I like the results.
I'm sure it is a lot brighter than a simple LED replacement bulb. It's
important to change the flasher unit because the LED draws so little
current. (Dec. 2012)
My latest project, (May 2013) was to get ready for spring with a bike
rack designed for the new luggage rack. I previously had made one
that "worked OK" but I wanted one that would look good with the the
present configuration. Much of this was put together with
salvaged lightweight tubing from the previous rack. I cleaned it
up and chopped it down. I had to create a new attachment
system to hook onto the luggage rack so that it wouldn't scar it.
A simple wrap-around clamping system with 5/8" hose lining works well.
It rides well on the bumper but I still have to put a metal tie-down
strap on the bottom to keep it from popping off.. It is only a
problem on rough roads and easily supports two bikes.
and may not be reproduced in any media without the artist's
permission. copyright 1975 - 2014 Elroy Christenson.